Part 7 covers:
How to Create Custom Brushes
Forrester Plugin Toolset
Call of Juarez 2 Level Design Part 7: Brush Tool and Forester
CoJ2 Bound in Blood Video Notes:
Brush Tool: allows you to create vegetation such as trees, grass, rocks and paint them directly onto your terrain.
Choose a tree type and start painting on your terrain. To Remove the trees, just select remove trees and paint them out.
Modifying terrain mask. Select Terrain Detail Brush 1 and double click to go to the properties.
Under Image --> m_UserPath --> set this as yourmapname_msk.dds
Advanced Tip: Go to Terrain --> Edit Bitmap on Terrain
Under bitmap file --> browse to yourmapname_msk.dds
You can modify the green channel and the alpha channel by setting the channel to Edit and painting into your terrain.
By clicking Save, you will see the terrain update through the painted mask.
Create new brushes by going up to the Brush Tool --> Brushes --> New
Rename your brush and go into the brush properties.
Under the new brush properties go up to Func Tree --> Insert at Highest Level
Select a functionality you want to add. In our case we chose Add Single Tree
Click on the plus character in the brush properties and set the mesh you want to use to paint on your terrain. This could be any tree.
Navigate into data/nature/trees
Select Add Single Tree and go up to Func Tree --> Insert a Child --> Insert Grass Density Map
Under m_DensityMapMode choose both to Set
Now you can set the properties to your tree what it will be displayed like in the properties
Forester Tool is similar to Brushes but allows you to have more precise control over your painted vegetation.
Call of Juarez 2: Bound in Blood Level Design Tutorial List
- Installing Tools. File Structure of Custom Maps,Support
- Interface and Navigation Advanced Mode
- Creating the Initial Environment
- Bonus: Terrain Workflow
- Adding Objects and Environment Props
- Custom Objects: Maya to ChromEd
- Adding Roads and Working with Terrain
- Detailing and Using Brushes
- AI, Waypoints, Fightnodes
- AI Sensors, Action Chains
- AI Scripts and Triggers
- AI Behaviors and Actions Overview
- Setting up Objectives
- Setting up Objectives and Quests
- Item Types
- Optimization and Class Types
- Publishing a Map and Release