UDK Custom Props/Assets created by WarrenM specifically for this WoLD Challenge
UPDATE # 4: August 2, 2011 Winners/Runners ups here
UPDATE # 3: July 27, 2011 - Final Work and Voting
UPDATE # 2: July 17, 2011 - Work in Progress Update
UPDATE # 1 July 5th, 2011: UDK Game Environment Pirate Challenge is being sponsored by Epic Games® and now includes prizes.
1st Place/Top Prize: Nvidia 460 Graphics Card and "Powered by Unreal" T-Shirt
2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Place: "Powered by Unreal" T-Shirts
Middle of summer is here, our last challenge was a success and it showcased a lot of great work. It is time for another WoLD Challenge. This specific challenge I want to thank our major contributor and WoLD member WarrenM. Warren created UDK custom model assets specifically for this challenge.
The challenge is to create a visually appealing and interesting environment using UDK with the custom assets created by WarrenM.
Pirate assets include 19 custom static meshes. Textured, material created and ready to be used for the challenge. Here is the preview:
So lets get down to what you need to do to enter the challenge and get started.
- The challenge is to create a visually appealing and interesting environment using UDK and the custom assets created by WarrenM.
- Pirate World Setting
- UDK (free)
- WarrenM's Pirate Assets/Props Package for UDK (free)
(18 MB zipped file) - Download Here (link to be updated)
- Create a visually pleasing and interesting scene with a focal point using provided Pirate Assets Package. No gameplay required. Just the use of custom assets and artistic eye for composition, lighting and prop placement.
- You must start from scratch with a new file. Do not use the example map file as a starting off point.
- Create your work-in-progress forum thread.
- You must provide continuous update on your forum thread with your wip and final submission. Work in progress thread must be started with the following: UDK Pirate Challenge - YourName
- UDK Pirate Challenge Forum Section is here
- Final outcome is 3 beauty screenshots
- You may use additional BSP Brushes (simple geometric shapes only: cube, cylinder)
- You may use Terrain\
- Keep BSP brushes and terrain to a minimum. Focus should be on the custom Pirate assets
- Use provided props in creative ways to design anything you want as long as you keep true to the Pirate Theme
- How well you used the provided custom assets to create a game environment. Your use of lighting, composition, prop placement, uniqueness.
- Work In Progress Thread on WoLD Forums. How well did you keep progress log?
- Screenshots with no hud
- 3 Beauty Screenshots
- Optional: video trailer no longer then 30 seconds
- Deadline: Monday - July 25, 2011 at midnight your time. (3 weeks)
- Voting Poll will close on Saturday - July 30 at 12pm (Eastern Daylight Time UTC-4 hours), (UTC/GMT Saturday, July 30, 2011 at 16:00:00)
- Judges: WoLD Members in a Public Poll based on 3 Beauty Shots you provided
- Submission: 3 beauty screenshots, no hud
- WIP Thread: Post final screenshots in your own Work In Progress Thread on WoLD Forums. (Registration is Free).
- UDK Game Environment Pirate Challenge is being sponsored by Epic Games® and includes prizes.
- 1st Place/Top Prize: Nvidia 460 Graphics Card and "Powered by Unreal" T-Shirt
- 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Place: "Powered by Unreal" T-Shirts
- Note: Once the winners are chosen, you must provide a valid mailing address by July 31st to be eligible, so Epic Games® can send you the prize. Personal information will be kept private and only shared with Epic Games® to mail the prize.
HOSTING YOUR SCREENSHOTS:
- If you are looking for a way to host your screenshots somewhere else, please download and use Dropbox. It is a free service that allows you to host images, and let others to download your maps.
Download Dropbox here, free. ( Refereral link)
- If you have your own website server, you should be good to go hosting your images from your website
HOW TO OPEN DOWNLOADED .upk PACKAGE:
Downloaded zip includes 2 files:
- .UDK (example map file)
- .UPK (package file that includes the props you will use)
.UDK is an example scene file that Warren provided. In this file all the assets have been used to give you an example of what is possible.
.UPK file is the custom assets file. This is what you want to use to create your scene.
To open up .upk file inside UDK:
1. Download and unzip the folder.
2. Place the extracted folder into:
- UDK installation directory --> UDK Version --> UDKGame --> Content
Launch UDK and open up Content Browser. Type under packages, pirate. This will show you the Warren's assets package.
Right Click on WM_WOLD_PirateChallenge_Assets and choose Fully Load:
After everything has been loaded you will see all the assets in the main preview window.
If you want to learn more about how to use UDK and how to create your own environments, start here with a full list that is continuously begin updated with new tutorials.
Updated & Revised - Preproduction Blueprint: How to Plan Your Game Environments and Level Designs
Not to be reproduced without prior written consent.