GAMEPLAY AND FLOW LEVEL DESIGN CHALLENGE RESULTS/WINNER
We are happy to announce a winner of the challenge.
Zodd receives the beta key to Starcraft II and our congratulations.
Prize has been submitted by courtesy of Luis Miranda aka Doruku.
Thank you to all who participated in the challenge. It was a huge success. The quality of work that was produced is astounding.
The focus of the challenge was to create a playable level using Hammer Source based game, with a given template and to create something fun to play.
Each submitted entry below receives notes to help out the designers improve their work.
The Winner and Runner Up receive more detailed notes.
- Good use of lights, guiding the player where to go.
- Nice flow throughout the environment. Knew exactly where to go.
- Lots of visual cues to help guide the player.
- Very fun and challenging panic event.
- Fun, solid and enjoyable map.
- Few bots and navigation issues.
- Interior lighting in last building to guide the player better.
- Better view of the opening gate when the button is pressed at the end of the map.
- Offers great variety throughout the environments.
- Caves are a nice break from the sewers. Offer a different feel and flow.
- Mixing rural and urban areas added much needed contrast.
- Good use of lighting to guide the player.
- Limit the amount of explorable side rooms. At times it was unclear where to go. Lots of backtracking.
- Bot and navigation issues.
- Add more weapons. Especially at the start.
- Use clip brushes to block off areas. We were able to bypass blocked off sections with cars by climbing on top.
Rest of the submitted entries. In alphabetical order:
- Progressively gets harder.
- Great use of limited space.
- Environments/Locations get repetitive. Less repetition.
- Introduce more variety in the environments.
- Great "Fish in a Barrel" moment at the start.
- Good use of props to block player's path.
- Sewers have too many dead ends. Very easy to get lost. A lot of aimless wandering. No clear path of where to go.
- Introduce more linear approach in the sewers, with clear visible aim where the player needs to go.
- Visually beautiful environment. Very original.
- Impossibly difficult. Large open area. Needs work on balancing out the gameplay.
- Good use of visual cues to guide the player.
- Balanced gameplay. Not too hard, not too easy.
- Too linear and simplistic. Add more variety in the environment/locations.