GAMEPLAY AND FLOW LEVEL DESIGN CHALLENGE
April 2010. Level Design Challenge. This particular challenge deals with level design gameplay, flow and composition. The FUN of the level.
Often overlooked and not planned, but it is the most important part of the level.
How fun is your map?
Fun is abstract term so to explain better here are some examples.
The idea behind this challenge is to focus and learn gameplay and flow. No need for texturing, detailing or creating detailed environment. It must be fun first. The common used term for this is whiteboxing. It is where you create the level with blocks and modular components without focusing on the visuals or the aesthetics.
DURATION: April 10, 2010 - May 10, 2010
GAME: Any Hammer Source Based Games.
BRIEF: Create a single-player or multiplayer, urban style map using predefined provided template created by Andy aka Nexusdog.
JUDGES: AlexG, Andy 'Nexusdog', AlexS 'Smog'
Questions we will be asking during judging.
- Plan ahead of time. Pen and paper.
- Have a goal in mind for what you would want the player to do. Create your environment based on that.
- Add bots, have navigation.
- Block in quick and test often.
- Change, change and change until it becomes fun.
- Aim to create an interactive environment. Force the player to make choices and decisions.
- Create chokepoints. Where the action happen.
- Guide the player through the environment with the use of items, architecture, props.
- Encourage exploration with interesting item placement.
Good articles to read before you start:
DIMENSIONS OF THE VMF FILE:
All content on this website is copyrighted ©2008-2020 World of Level Design LLC by Alex Galuzin. All rights reserved.
Duplication and distribution is illegal and strictly prohibited.
World of Level Design LLC is an independent company. World of Level Design website, its tutorials and products are not endorsed, sponsored or approved by any mentioned companies on this website in any way. All content is based on my own personal experimentation, experience and opinion. World of Level Design™ and 11 Day Level Design™ are trademarks of Alex Galuzin.
Template powered by w3.css